Wednesday, April 15, 2009

and Taxes

So I got a letter from the IRS yesterday.

That 'Oh, no!' gut reaction you just had was the same one I had when I saw the letter. I filed my taxes a couple weeks ago, and thanks to the retardation of the US tax code I didn't get a refund for the first time in my life. With that in mind I was figuring that the best possible outcome for the letter was that they were going to tell me that my payment had failed or was for the wrong amount or something along those lines. I opened the letter and the first thing I read was that they found an error on my taxes, and I just about had a heart attack.

Well, I should be more optimistic, because they went on to explain that I failed to give myself one of the credits I didn't know existed. Since my taxes were already paid, they sent me a check for the credit amount, which was in a letter at the bottom of my mail stack.

Thank you IRS... in gratitude for helping me out, I promise to not hate you for the next... 30 seconds or so.

No comments: