Monday, March 9, 2009

Why Do We Do This To Ourselves

As I sit here at work, really wishing that it didn't feel as tired as I do, I can't help but be angry about having lost an hour in my schedule over the weekend. Even the best explanations about why we do this ridiculous thing with our clocks leaves a logical mind wondering why we don't just pick one version of the time and stick with it. As far as I can tell, the reasoning from the opposition camp is way more sound than anything else you ever hear. I could almost move to Arizona just for the lack of daylight saving.


So not many have commented here, but I've heard from many people in person and on facebook that they agree with my thoughts here. Not one person has said they like daylight saving time, so what is it that keeps us practicing it? Is there someone out there that likes this and just hasn't said so? Please comment if you're out there, I'd love to know your thoughts.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree with you more.

McKay said...

One of my astronomy professors said that it generally is more popular on the eastern edge of each time zone than on the western edge of the same zone. But maybe that's not the main answer if you didn't notice anything of the sort growing up in CO ...

I've also heard that it's purely driven by economic statistics that say people go shopping more this way.

StuTheWise said...

I read somewhere that Thomas Jefferson proposed it as a joke. But nobody is laughing.

I've been ripping on it daily via Twitter. I might just keep going until we go back to standard time in the fall.